O. Reg. 279/23: REGISTRATION
filed August 21, 2023 under Dental Technology Act, 1991, S.O. 1991, c. 23Skip to content
ontario regulation 279/23
made under the
Dental Technology Act, 1991
Made: August 1, 2023
Approved: August 17, 2023
Filed: August 21, 2023
Published on e-Laws: August 21, 2023
Published in The Ontario Gazette: September 9, 2023
Amending O. Reg. 874/93
1. Section 1 of Ontario Regulation 874/93 is amended by adding the following paragraph:
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following sections:
10.1 The following are registration requirements for an emergency certificate of registration:
1. The Minister must have requested that the College initiate registrations under this class based on the Minister’s opinion that emergency circumstances call for it or the Council must have determined, after taking into account all of the relevant circumstances that impact the ability of applicants to meet the ordinary registration requirements, that there are emergency circumstances, and that it is in the public interest that the College issue emergency certificates.
2. The applicant must satisfy either of the following requirements:
i. The education requirement in paragraph 1 of subsection 5 (1).
ii. Successful completion of any education assessment and upgrading required by the Registration Committee.
3. The applicant must satisfy the requirements set out in section 6.
4. The applicant must provide proof of eligibility to acquire professional liability insurance and, before the issuance of a certificate, must show proof of actual coverage, in the amount and in the form required by the by-laws.
10.2. The following are conditions of an emergency certificate of registration:
1. The member must meet the conditions set out in section 7.
2. The member must practise the profession only under the supervision of a member with a general certificate of registration or a member of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
3. The member must at all times when providing professional services identify themselves as practising under supervision.
4. The member must use the title “dental technologist (emergency)”, “registered dental technologist (emergency)” or “RDT (emergency)”.
10.3 (1) Unless stated otherwise on the certificate, an emergency certificate of registration or a renewed emergency certificate of registration expires one year after it is issued unless it is renewed.
(2) Despite subsection (1), an emergency certificate of registration expires six months after the date the Minister or the Council determines that emergency circumstances referred to in paragraph 1 of section 10.1 no longer exist.
10.4. A member who holds an emergency certificate of registration, or a former member who held an emergency certificate of registration within the previous six months before applying, may be issued a general certificate of registration if they meet all the requirements of paragraphs 2 and 3 of subsection 5 (1) and all the requirements of section 6, and in addition is exempt from paying the new application evaluation and processing fee required under College by-laws.
3. This Regulation comes into force on the later of the day subsection 3 (3) of Schedule 6 to the Pandemic and Emergency Preparedness Act, 2022 comes into force and the day this Regulation is filed.
Council of the College of Dental Technologists of Ontario:
Registrar and CEO
Date made: August 1, 2023