ONTARIO REGULATION 42/00
made under the
Collection Agencies Act
Made: February 2, 2000
Filed: February 4, 2000
Amending Reg. 74 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Regulation 74 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following section after the heading:
19.2 In sections 20 and 21,
“same–sex partner” means either of two persons of the same sex who live together in a conjugal relationship outside marriage;
(a) a spouse as defined in section 1 of the Family Law Act, or
(b) either of two persons of the opposite sex who live together in a conjugal relationship outside marriage.
2. (1) Clause 20 (d) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(d) make telephone calls or personal calls of such nature or with such frequency as to constitute harassment of the debtor, his or her spouse or same–sex partner or any member of the debtor’s family or household;
(2) Clause 20 (f) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(f) give any person, directly or indirectly, by implication or otherwise, any false or misleading information that may be detrimental to a debtor, his or her spouse or same–sex partner or any member of the debtor’s family;
3. Section 21 of the Regulation is amended by striking out the portion before clause (a) and substituting the following:
21. Except for the purpose of obtaining the debtor’s address or telephone number, no collection agency or collector shall contact a debtor’s employer, spouse, same–sex partner, relatives, neighbours or friends unless,
. . . . .
4. This Regulation comes into force on March 1, 2000.