O. Reg. 276/05: Hunting
filed June 10, 2005 under Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 41Skip to content
ontario regulation 276/05
made under the
fish and wildlife conservation act, 1997
Made: June 8, 2005
Filed: June 10, 2005
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 25, 2005
Amending O. Reg. 665/98
1. Sections 17 and 18 of Ontario Regulation 665/98 are revoked and the following substituted:
17. (1) The holder of a licence who has killed a moose, deer, bear, wild turkey, wolf or coyote shall,
(a) immediately after the kill and at the site of the kill attach the seal provided with or purchased for the licence or licence tag to the game wildlife in the manner indicated on the seal; and
(b) keep the seal attached to the game wildlife while it is being transported and, in the case of wild turkey, keep the seal attached to the wild turkey until it is prepared for consumption.
(2) A holder of a hunting licence shall not attach the seal provided with the licence or licence tag to a bull moose, cow moose or antlerless deer unless the licence has been validated for hunting the game mammal.
(3) A licence to hunt deer, moose, bear or wild turkey ceases to be valid when the seal provided with or purchased for the licence or licence tag is attached or ought to have been attached to the carcass of the deer, moose, bear or wild turkey, respectively, as the case may be.
(4) The seal provided with or purchased for a licence to hunt deer, moose or bear expires at the end of the fourth day after the close of the open season.
(5) Where a small game licence must be accompanied by a wolf/coyote seal to hunt wolf or coyote, the licence ceases to be valid for hunting wolf or coyote,
(a) if the person holds one wolf/coyote seal, when the seal is attached or ought to have been attached to a wolf or coyote; or
(b) if the person holds two wolf/coyote seals, when both seals have been attached or ought to have been attached to wolves or coyotes.
(6) A wolf/coyote seal expires on December 31 of the year the seal was issued.
18. The holder of a licence to hunt moose, deer, bear or wild turkey or the holder of a small game licence and a wolf/coyote seal shall provide the information required on the seal in the manner indicated on the seal immediately after the game wildlife has been killed.
2. Section 20 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
20. A holder of a licence to hunt moose, deer, bear or wild turkey or a holder of a small game licence and a wolf/coyote seal shall not attach his or her seal to game wildlife that has been killed by another person.
3. Part V of the Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
29.1 (1) Despite clauses 28 (1) (d) and 29 (1) (c), a holder of a small game licence is not authorized to hunt wolf or coyote in the wildlife management units listed in paragraph 1 unless the licence is accompanied by a wolf/coyote seal:
1. 1 to 10, 11A, 11B, 12 to 42, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 and 58.
(2) A person shall not apply for or possess more than two wolf/coyote seals in the same year.
(3) The holder of a wolf/coyote seal shall complete the questionnaire relating to the hunting activities carried out under that seal in the form required by the Ministry and return it to the office of the Ministry specified in the questionnaire on or before January 15 of the year following the issue of the seal.
4. Subsection 130 (1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(1) A person who kills a bear, or who kills a wolf or coyote in the wildlife management units listed in subsection 29.1 (1), under section 31 of the Act and does not report its acquisition under section 2 of Ontario Regulation 666/98 (Possession, Buying and Selling of Wildlife) shall immediately report the fact to the district manager of the Ministry, in person or by telephone.
5. This Regulation comes into force on September 15, 2005.