O. Reg. 18/12: GENERAL
filed February 17, 2012 under Medical Laboratory Technology Act, 1991, S.O. 1991, c. 28Skip to content
ontario regulation 18/12
made under the
Medical Laboratory Technology Act, 1991
Made: January 12, 2012
Approved: February 14, 2012
Filed: February 17, 2012
Published on e-Laws: February 21, 2012
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: March 3, 2012
Amending O. Reg. 207/94
1. Subsections 2 (2) and (3) of Ontario Regulation 207/94 are revoked.
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
2.1 (1) Where section 22.18 of the Health Professions Procedural Code applies to an applicant, the requirements of paragraphs 6, 7 and 8 of subsection 2 (1) of this Regulation are deemed to have been met.
(2) Despite subsection (1), it is a registration requirement that an applicant referred to in that subsection provide a certificate, letter or other evidence satisfactory to the Registrar or a panel of the Registration Committee confirming that the applicant is in good standing as a medical laboratory technologist in every jurisdiction where the applicant holds an out-of-province certificate.
(3) Without in any way limiting the generality of subsection (2), “good standing” shall include the fact that,
(a) the applicant is not the subject of any discipline or fitness to practise order or of any proceeding or ongoing investigation or of any interim order or agreement as a result of a complaint, investigation or proceeding; and
(b) the applicant has complied with the continuing competency and quality assurance requirements of the regulatory authority that issued the applicant the out-of-province certificate.
(4) Where an applicant to whom subsection (1) applies is unable to satisfy the Registrar or a panel of the Registration Committee that the applicant practised the profession of medical laboratory technology to the extent that would be permitted by a practising certificate of registration at any time in the preceding three years immediately before the date of that applicant’s application, the applicant must meet any further requirement to undertake, obtain or undergo material additional training, experience, examinations or assessments that may be specified by a panel of the Registration Committee.
(5) An applicant referred to in subsection (1) is deemed to have met the requirements of paragraph 5 of subsection 2 (1) where the requirements for the issuance of the applicant’s out-of-province certificate included language proficiency requirements equivalent to those required by that paragraph.
(6) Despite subsection (1), an applicant is not deemed to have met a requirement if that requirement is described in subsection 22.18 (3) of the Health Professions Procedural Code.
3. Subparagraph 1 i of section 5 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
i. a conviction for any offence,
4. Section 7 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
7. (1) If the Registrar suspends a member’s certificate of registration pursuant to section 24 of the Health Professions Procedural Code, the Registrar shall lift the suspension on the payment of,
(a) the fee the member failed to pay;
(b) any other applicable fees required under the by-laws; and
(c) any applicable penalties required under the by-laws.
(2) The Registrar may waive any of the requirements of subsection (1) in cases of economic hardship.
(3) If the Registrar suspends a member’s certificate of registration pursuant to section 24 of the Health Professions Procedural Code and the suspension is not lifted within three years of the commencement of the suspension, the member’s certificate of registration is revoked on the day that is the third anniversary of the suspension.
5. (1) Subsection 8 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “set by the Registrar” at the end and substituting “required under the by-laws”.
(2) Subsection 8 (2) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “set by the Registrar” at the end and substituting “required under the by-laws”.
6. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
Council of the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario:
Registrar and Executive Director
Date made: January 12, 2012.