O. Reg. 229/20: GENERAL
filed May 29, 2020 under Ontario Works Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 25, Sched. ASkip to content
ontario regulation 229/20
made under the
Ontario Works Act, 1997
Made: May 28, 2020
Filed: May 29, 2020
Published on e-Laws: May 29, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 13, 2020
Amending O. Reg. 134/98
1. (1) The heading to section 53.1 of Ontario Regulation 134/98 is revoked and the following substituted:
Treatment of Emergency Payments Respecting COVID-19 Made by Canada
(2) Subsection 53.1 (1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(1) This section sets out rules respecting the treatment of the following types of payments:
1. Income support under the Canada Emergency Response Benefit Act.
2. Emergency response benefits under Part VIII.4 of the Employment Insurance Act (Canada).
(3) Subsection 53.1 (2) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(2) Subject to subsection (5), the first $200 of each type of payment referred to in subsection (1) that is received by each member of a benefit unit, other than a member referred to in subsection (3) or (4), and 50 per cent of any remaining amount of such payments received by the member shall not be included in income. However, where the payments would result in a recipient becoming ineligible for assistance, they shall be further exempt from income such that income assistance payable to the recipient is equal to $2.50.
(4) Subsections 53.1 (3) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “all CERB payments” and substituting “any payments referred to in subsection (1) that are”.
(5) Subsection 53.1 (4) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “All CERB payments” at the beginning and substituting “Any payments referred to in subsection (1) that are”.
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
53.2 The rules set out in section 53.1 respecting the treatment of payments referred to in subsection 53.1 (1) also apply to payments of Canada emergency student benefits under the Canada Emergency Student Benefit Act except that clause 53.1 (5) (b) shall be read as referring to an effective date of eligibility of an applicant that falls in May 2020 or later.
3. (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Regulation is deemed to have come into force on March 1, 2020.
(2) Section 2 is deemed to have come into force on May 1, 2020.