O. Reg. 232/20: ELECTRONIC MEETINGS
filed May 29, 2020 under Education Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.2Skip to content
ontario regulation 232/20
made under the
Made: May 28, 2020
Filed: May 29, 2020
Published on e-Laws: May 29, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 13, 2020
Amending O. Reg. 463/97
1. The title of Ontario Regulation 463/97 is revoked and the following substituted:
Electronic Meetings and Meeting Attendance
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
5.2 For greater certainty, the failure to be physically present as required by a policy referred to in subsection 5 (1) or 5.1 (2) does not constitute a failure for the purposes of clause 228 (1) (e) of the Act.
3. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
6.1 (1) Subject to subsection (3), a member of a board shall be physically present in the meeting room of the board for at least three regular meetings of the board during,
(a) each 12-month period beginning December 1, until the period ending November 30, 2021;
(b) the period beginning December 1, 2021 and ending November 14, 2022; and
(c) each 12-month period beginning November 15, 2022.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply for a period described in that subsection if all schools of the board are closed for a total of two or more months during that period pursuant to an order made by,
(a) the Minister under section 5 (1) of the Act;
(b) a medical officer of health or the Chief Medical Officer of Health under section 22 or 77.1 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act; or
(c) the Lieutenant Governor in Council under paragraph 5 of subsection 7.0.2 (4) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
(3) A member of a board who is elected or appointed to fill a vacancy shall be physically present in the meeting room of the board for at least one regular meeting of the board for each period of four full calendar months that occurs during the following periods:
1. If the member was elected or appointed earlier than November 30, 2021, the period beginning on the day the member is elected or appointed and ending the following November 30.
2. If the member was elected or appointed on or after November 30, 2021, the period beginning on the day the member is elected or appointed and ending the following November 14.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply for a period described in paragraph 1 or 2 of that subsection if, at any time during that period, all schools of the board are closed pursuant to an order referred to in subsection (2).
(5) The periods described in clause (1) (a) and paragraph 1 of subsection (3) include periods that began before the day section 3 of Ontario Regulation 232/20 came into force.
4. Subsection 7 (2) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “60 days after the order expires” at the end of the portion after clause (b) and substituting “60 days after the order ceases to apply”.
5. This Regulation comes into force on the later of the day section 1 of Schedule 9 to the COVID-19 Response and Reforms to Modernize Ontario Act, 2020 comes into force and the day this Regulation is filed.