O. Reg. 431/20: ADMINISTERING OATH OR DECLARATION REMOTELY
filed July 30, 2020 under Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.17Skip to content
ontario regulation 431/20
made under the
Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act
Made: July 30, 2020
Filed: July 30, 2020
Published on e-Laws: July 30, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: August 15, 2020
Administering Oath or Declaration Remotely
Remote administering of oath, declaration permitted
1. An oath or declaration may be taken by a deponent or declarant without being in the physical presence of the person administering the oath or declaration, if the following conditions are met:
1. The oath or declaration is being administered by an electronic method of communication in which the person administering the oath or declaration and the deponent or declarant are able to see, hear and communicate with each other in real time throughout the entire transaction.
2. The person administering the oath or declaration confirms the identity of the deponent or declarant.
3. A modified version of the jurat or declaration is used that indicates,
i. that the oath or declaration was administered in accordance with this Regulation, and
ii. the location of the person administering the oath or declaration and of the deponent or declarant at the time of the administering.
4. In the case of a commissioner to whom section 5 of the Act applies, the information on the stamp required to be used under that section appears on or in the document being signed.
5. The person administering the oath or declaration takes reasonable precautions in the execution of the person’s duties, including ensuring that the deponent or declarant understands what is being signed.
2. Every person who administers an oath or declaration in accordance with section 1 shall keep a record of the transaction.
3. This Regulation comes into force on the later of the day subsection 9 (2) of Schedule 4 to the COVID-19 Response and Reforms to Modernize Ontario Act, 2020 comes into force and the day this Regulation is filed.