O. Reg. 759/20: FISH LICENSING
filed December 16, 2020 under Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 41Skip to content
ontario regulation 759/20
made under the
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997
Made: December 10, 2020
Filed: December 16, 2020
Published on e-Laws: December 17, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: January 2, 2021
Amending O. Reg. 664/98
1. Subsection 2 (3) of Ontario Regulation 664/98 is revoked and the following substituted:
(3) For greater certainty, the following persons are not required to obtain an outdoors card:
1. A person who holds a document that is deemed to be a sport fishing licence under section 13, 14, 14.1 or 15 or subsection 17 (1).
2. A person who fishes under the authority of a promotional sport fishing licence in accordance with the conditions of that licence and section 16.
3. A person who is deemed to hold a sport fishing licence under subsection 17 (2) or section 18.1.
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
18.6 The holder of a sport fishing licence shall ensure that the following documents remain intact and legible:
1. Every component of the licence, including any document that is deemed to be a sport fishing licence under this Part.
2. Every document that the holder of the sport fishing licence is required to carry on his or her person while fishing under this Regulation.
3. (1) Paragraph 3 of subsection 24 (1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
3. Subject to subsection (1.1), the person cultures fish in an aquarium located at an educational institution or facility or at a zoo for one of the following purposes:
i. to exhibit the fish at the educational institution or facility or at the zoo,
ii. to carry out research at the educational institution or facility or at the zoo,
iii. in the case of fish cultured in an aquarium at an educational institution or facility other than a post-secondary institution, to raise the fish in a classroom for stocking purposes as part of a program to assist in the conservation of that species in Ontario.
(2) Paragraphs 1 and 2 of subsection 24 (1.1) of the Regulation are revoked and the following substituted:
1. Subject to paragraph 2, all wastewater and effluent from the aquarium must be,
i. discharged into a municipal wastewater treatment system, or
ii. disinfected by a process that removes or inactivates pathogens such as viruses, bacteria and protozoa in water.
2. In the case of fish cultured in an aquarium for the purposes of carrying on research under subparagraph 3 ii of subsection (1), all wastewater and effluent from the aquarium must be disinfected by a process that removes or inactivates pathogens such as viruses, bacteria and protozoa in water.
3. Any fish that are cultured in the aquarium and subsequently die must not be deposited in natural waters.
4. Any fish used in research must be humanely euthanized upon the completion of the research unless the fish will be used for display or educational purposes at the educational institution or facility or at the zoo at which the research was carried out.
(3) Subsection 24 (3) of the Regulation is amended by adding the following definitions:
“research” means the use of fish in connection with studies, investigation and teaching in any field of knowledge, and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes the use of fish for the performance of tests, and diagnosis of disease and the production and testing of preparations intended for use in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of any disease or condition; («travaux de recherche»)
“zoo” means a place that is an accredited member of Canada’s Accredited Zoos and Aquariums and at which fish are kept in captivity for display to the public and for conservation, educational or scientific purposes. («zoo»)
4. Clause 31.1 (6) (a) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “registered under the Fish Inspection Act (Canada)” and substituting “licensed under the Safe Food for Canadians Act (Canada) or under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (Canada)”.