O. Reg. 288/21: CLOSURE OF PUBLIC LANDS FOR RECREATIONAL CAMPING
filed April 15, 2021 under Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.9Skip to content
ontario regulation 288/21
made under the
Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act
Made: April 15, 2021 (3:55 p.m.)
Filed: April 15, 2021
Published on e-Laws: April 15, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: May 1, 2021
Closure of Public Lands for Recreational Camping
Terms of Order
1. The terms of this Order are set out in Schedule 1.
2. This Order applies as of 12:01 a.m. on April 16, 2021.
RECREATIONAL CAMPING ON PUBLIC LANDS PROHIBITED
1. For the purposes of this Order, recreational camping on public lands refers to occupying any public lands within the meaning of the Public Lands Act, including public lands covered by water or ice or both, for the purposes of outdoor recreational accommodation and includes occupying on the public lands any equipment used for the purpose of outdoor recreational accommodation such as a tent, trailer, tent-trailer, recreational vehicle, camper-back and any watercraft equipped for overnight accommodation.
Camping on public lands prohibited
2. Despite any Act or regulation that provides otherwise, recreational camping on public lands is prohibited.
3. For greater certainty, nothing in this Order shall be construed as,
(a) prohibiting camping for the purposes of exercising an Aboriginal or treaty right as recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982;
(b) prohibiting temporary outdoor accommodations that are ancillary to or necessary for the operation of a business or organization that may open under Ontario Regulation 82/20 (Rules for Areas in Stage 1), Ontario Regulation 263/20 (Rules for Areas in Stage 2) or Ontario Regulation 364/20 (Rules for Areas in Stage 3) continued under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020;
(c) prohibiting the day use of public lands consistent with Ontario Regulation 265/21 (Stay-at-Home Order) made under the Act or using public lands for other permitted purposes; or