O. Reg. 556/21: DRIVERS' LICENCES
filed August 3, 2021 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 556/21
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: July 29, 2021
Filed: August 3, 2021
Published on e-Laws: August 4, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: August 21, 2021
Amending O. Reg. 340/94
1. Section 3.1 of Ontario Regulation 340/94 is revoked.
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
3.1 (1) The Minister may, based on the results of an examination under clause 15 (1) (b) or (c), including the characteristics of the transmission of the motor vehicle driven during the examination of an applicant for or a holder of a Class A driver’s licence, impose a condition on the person’s Class A driver’s licence that the person not drive a combination of vehicles that constitutes a Class A motor vehicle if the motor vehicle has a manual transmission.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a motor vehicle has a manual transmission if it is equipped with,
(a) a driver-operated clutch that is activated by a pedal or lever; and
(b) a driver-operated gear-shift mechanism that is operated by hand or foot and does not use the assistance of automation.
(3) For greater certainty, a semi-automatic transmission or an automated-manual transmission is not considered to be a manual transmission.
3. (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
(2) Section 2 comes into force on the later of July 1, 2022 and the day this Regulation is filed.