O. Reg. 353/22: GENERAL
filed April 19, 2022 under Professional Engineers Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.28Skip to content
ontario regulation 353/22
made under the
Professional Engineers Act
Made: April 8, 2022
Approved: April 14, 2022
Filed: April 19, 2022
Published on e-Laws: April 20, 2022
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: May 7, 2022
Amending Reg. 941 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Regulation 941 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following section:
Continuing education and Professional development Programs
Continuing education and professional development programs
51.2 (1) The Council may establish one or more programs of continuing education and professional development for Members and holders of temporary licences, provisional licences and limited licences.
(2) If the Council establishes a program under subsection (1), a Member or holder of a temporary licence, provisional licence or limited licence to whom the program applies shall, in each year, meet the following requirements in respect of the program:
1. The Member or holder shall, no later than January 31 in the year,
i. provide to the Registrar a declaration as to whether the Member or holder is practising professional engineering or is not practising professional engineering,
ii. complete any professional practice course that is part of the program and provide proof of completion to the Registrar, and
iii. if the Member or holder declares themself to be practising professional engineering, complete and submit to the Registrar a self-assessment determining the number of hours of continuing education and professional development activities that are required to be completed by the Member or holder in the year as part of the program.
2. If the Member or holder is practising professional engineering, the Member or holder shall, no later than December 31 in the year, report to the Registrar the continuing education and professional development activities determined by the self-assessment referred to in subparagraph 1 iii that were completed by the Member or holder in the year.
3. The Member or holder shall meet any other requirements with respect to the program that may be specified by the Council.
(3) If a non-practising Member or holder who makes a declaration under subparagraph 1 i of subsection (2) in a year resumes practising professional engineering during that year,
(a) the Member or holder shall, no later than 30 days after resuming practising, provide an updated declaration under that subparagraph and complete and submit the self-assessment under subparagraph 1 iii of subsection (2); and
(b) the requirements of paragraph 2 of subsection (2) begin to apply in the following year.
(4) In the case of a Member or holder whose licence, temporary licence, provisional licence or limited licence is issued or reinstated during a year, subsection (2) begins to apply to the Member or holder at the time or times specified by the Registrar, with such modifications as may be specified by the Registrar.
(5) The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) shall be met in the form and manner specified by the Registrar.
(6) The Registrar may monitor Members and holders of temporary licences, provisional licences or limited licences for compliance with the requirements of subsections (2) and (3) in accordance with subsection (5).
(7) The Registrar may suspend a licence, temporary licence, provisional licence or limited licence if the Member or holder does not meet the requirements of subsections (2) and (3) in accordance with subsection (5).
(8) A suspension under subsection (7) remains in effect until the Registrar is satisfied that the Member or holder has met the requirements.
(9) The Registrar shall notify the Member or holder in writing of a suspension under subsection (7) and of the removal of a suspension under subsection (8).
2. This Regulation comes into force on the later of January 1, 2023 and the day this Regulation is filed.
Council of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario:
Le Conseil de l’Ordre des ingénieurs de l’Ontario :