Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence Act, 2019, S.O. 2019, c. 17, Sched. 1Skip to content
|current||December 12, 2019 – (e-Laws currency date)|
Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence Act, 2019
S.o. 2019, chapter 17
Consolidation Period: From December 12, 2019 to the e-Laws currency date.
Note: THIS ACT IS NOT YET IN FORCE. It comes into force on a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor.
The Government of Ontario,
Recognizes that mental health is an essential element of health;
Believes that, for too long, the lack of attention to and investment in the mental health and addictions system has led to unnecessary delays in accessing care and caused unnecessary suffering;
Acknowledges the social and economic costs of mental illness and addictions, including the fact that mental illness and addictions are leading contributors to lost productivity and absenteeism in the workplace;
Supports the introduction and implementation of a mental health and addictions strategy and is committed to its long-term success;
Believes that the introduction, implementation and success of a mental health and addictions strategy depends on the sustained commitment of all sectors and levels of government;
Wants to maximize the value of its investments through a co-ordinated approach to mental health and addictions; and
Is committed to the creation of a fully integrated health care system in which mental health and addictions care is a core component.
1 The purpose of this Act is to lay a foundation to support a mental health and addictions strategy in Ontario.
2 In this Act,
“health service provider” means a health service provider within the meaning of the Connecting Care Act, 2019; (“fournisseur de services de santé”)
“integrated care delivery system” means an integrated care delivery system within the meaning of the Connecting Care Act, 2019; (“système intégré de prestation de soins”)
“mental health and addictions strategy” means the strategy referred to in section 3; (“stratégie en matière de santé mentale et de lutte contre les dépendances”)
“Minister” means the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care or such other member of the Executive Council to whom the administration of this Act is assigned under the Executive Council Act; (“ministre”)
“Ministry” means the Ministry of the Minister; (“ministère”)
“Ontario Health” means the corporation continued under section 3 of the Connecting Care Act, 2019; (“Santé Ontario”)
“regulations” means the regulations made under this Act. (“règlements”)
Mental health and addictions strategy
3 The Minister shall develop and maintain a mental health and addictions strategy which recognizes that mental health and addictions care is a core component of an integrated health care system.
Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence
4 (1) Ontario Health shall establish and maintain, within Ontario Health, a centre to be known as the Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence in English and Centre d’excellence pour la santé mentale et la lutte contre les dépendances in French.
(2) In furtherance of Ontario Health’s objects as set out in section 6 of the Connecting Care Act, 2019, Ontario Health shall carry out the following functions through its Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence:
1. Putting into operation the mental health and addictions strategy.
2. Developing clinical, quality and service standards for mental health and addictions.
3. Monitoring metrics related to the performance of the mental health and addictions system.
4. Providing resources and support to health service providers, integrated care delivery systems and others related to mental health and addictions.
5. Any other functions that the Minister may direct.
Compliance with regulations
(3) Ontario Health shall comply with the requirements, if any, provided for in the regulations with respect to its Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence.
(4) Ontario Health shall include as part of any annual reports it prepares, in accordance with such directives as may be issued from the Management Board of Cabinet from time to time, information respecting the functions carried out through the Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence.
5 The Minister may make regulations providing for the requirements mentioned in subsection 4 (3).
6 Omitted (amends, repeals or revokes other legislation).
7 Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act).
8 Omitted (enacts short title of this Act).