Homes for Special Care Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.12Skip to content
|current||June 22, 2006 – (e-Laws currency date)|
|October 10, 1997 – June 21, 2006|
|R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 636||GENERAL|
Homes for Special Care Act
R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER H.12
Historical version for the period October 10, 1997 to June 21, 2006.
Amended by: 1997, c. 15, s. 7.
1. In this Act,
“home for special care” means a home for the care of persons requiring nursing, residential or sheltered care; (“foyer de soins spéciaux”)
“Minister” means the Minister of Health; (“ministre”)
“regulations” means the regulations made under this Act; (“règlements”)
“resident” means a person received and lodged in a home for special care under this Act. (“pensionnaire”) R.S.O. 1990, c. H.12, s. 1.
2. The Minister is responsible for the administration of this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.12, s. 2.
3., 4. Repealed: 1997, c. 15, s. 7 (1).
Licensing of homes
5. (1) The Minister may license homes for special care and may renew or cancel the licences on such terms and conditions as the regulations prescribe. 1997, c. 15, s. 7 (2).
(2) The Minister may establish and charge fees for the issue and renewal of licences under this section. 1997, c. 15, s. 7 (2).
Payments for care and maintenance
(3) The Minister may pay such amounts for the care and maintenance of residents in homes licensed under this section as are prescribed by the regulations. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.12, s. 5 (3).
Mental Health Act may apply
6. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may designate any provision of the Mental Health Act or of the regulations thereunder as being applicable to any home for special care. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.12, s. 6.
7. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations with respect to homes for special care for,
(a) their construction, location, alteration, equipment, safety, maintenance and repair;
(b) their inspection, control, government, management, conduct, operation and use;
(c) their administrators and other officers and staffs and the powers and duties thereof;
(d) their classifications, grades and standards, and the classification of residents, and regulating and prescribing the rates and charges for residents, and prescribing the liability therefor;
(e) the admission, treatment, care, conduct, control, custody and discharge of residents or of any class of residents;
(f) Repealed: 1997, c. 15, s. 7 (3).
(g) providing for the licensing of homes for special care under section 5 and the renewal and cancellation of the licences;
(h) prescribing the amounts to be paid by the Minister for the care and maintenance of residents in homes for special care licensed under section 5;
(i) any matter necessary or advisable to carry out effectively the intent and purpose of this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.12, s. 7; 1997, c. 15, s. 7 (3, 4).