Ministry of the Solicitor General Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34Skip to content
Ministry of the Solicitor General Act
R.S.O. 1990, Chapter M.34
Consolidation Period: From August 20, 2007 to the e-Laws currency date.
Legislative History: 1999, c. 12, Sched. P, s. 10;.
1 In this Act,
“Ministry” means the Ministry of the Solicitor General. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 1.
2 (1) The ministry of the public service known in English as the Ministry of the Solicitor General and in French as ministère du Solliciteur général is continued. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 2 (1).
Solicitor General to have charge
(2) The Solicitor General shall preside over and have charge of the Ministry. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 2 (2).
Deputy Solicitor General
3 (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may appoint a Deputy Solicitor General who shall be the deputy head of the Ministry. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 3 (1).
(2) Such employees may be appointed under Part III of the Public Service of Ontario Act, 2006 as are required from time to time for the proper conduct of the business of the Ministry. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 3 (2); 2006, c. 35, Sched. C, s. 82.
(3) The Solicitor General may delegate in writing any power or duty granted to or vested in him or her by this or any other Act to the Deputy Solicitor General or to any employee of the Ministry. 1999, c. 12, Sched. P, s. 10.
(4) A delegation may provide that it is subject to limitations, restrictions, conditions or requirements. 1999, c. 12, Sched. P, s. 10.
Deeds and contracts executed by delegate
(5) Section 6 of the Executive Council Act does not apply to a deed or contract that is executed under a delegation made under subsection (3). 1999, c. 12, Sched. P, s. 10.
Section Amendments with date in force (d/m/y)
1999, c. 12, Sched. P, s. 10 - 04/02/2000
Duties of Solicitor General
4 The Solicitor General is responsible for the administration of this Act and any Acts that are assigned to the Solicitor General by the Legislature or by the Lieutenant Governor in Council. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 4.
5 The Solicitor General, after the close of each year, shall submit to the Lieutenant Governor in Council an annual report upon the affairs of the Ministry and shall then lay the report before the Assembly if it is in session or, if not, at the next ensuing session. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.34, s. 5.