Public Sector Dispute Resolution Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 21, Sched. ASkip to content
Public Sector Dispute Resolution Act, 1997
S.O. 1997, CHAPTER 21
Historical version for the period December 20, 2006 to August 19, 2007.
Last amendment: 2006, c. 35, Sched. C, s. 114.
1. The following are the purposes of this Act:
1. To ensure the expeditious resolution of disputes during collective bargaining.
2. To encourage the settlement of disputes through negotiation.
3. To encourage best practices that ensure the delivery of quality and effective public services that are affordable for taxpayers. 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, s. 1.
2. (1) This section applies to,
(a) arbitrations conducted under section 50 of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997;
(b) arbitrations conducted under the Hospital Labour Disputes Arbitration Act;
(c) arbitrations conducted under section 122 of the Police Services Act;
(d) arbitrations respecting a matter concerning the amendment or renewal of an agreement or anything that may be the subject of bargaining under section 26 of the Public Service Act;
Note: On a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor, clause (d) is amended by the Statutes of Ontario, 2006, chapter 35, Schedule C, section 114 by striking out “section 26 of the Public Service Act” at the end and substituting “Part I of the Ontario Provincial Police Collective Bargaining Act, 2006”. See: 2006, c. 35, Sched. C, ss. 114, 137 (1).
(e) arbitrations under section 43 of the Labour Relations Act, 1995 as it applies under section 32 of the Public Sector Labour Relations Transition Act, 1997;
(f) arbitrations under section 40 of the Labour Relations Act, 1995 involving a successor employer within the meaning of the Public Sector Labour Relations Transition Act, 1997 and a bargaining agent representing employees of such an employer. 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, s. 2 (1).
Purposes to be considered
(2) In making a decision, an arbitrator or arbitration board shall take into consideration the purposes of this Act. 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, s. 2 (2).
Other criteria not excluded
(3) Nothing in subsection (2) relieves an arbitrator or arbitration board from any requirement under another Act to consider criteria in making a decision. 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, s. 2 (3).
3.-6. Omitted (amends or repeals other Acts). 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, ss. 3-6.
7. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act). 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, s. 7.
8. Omitted (enacts short title of this Act). 1997, c. 21, Sched. A, s. 8.