Remembrance Day Observance Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 18Skip to content
|repealed on November 2, 2016|
|October 10, 1997 – November 1, 2016|
Remembrance Day Observance Act, 1997
S.O. 1997, CHAPTER 18
Historical version for the period October 10, 1997 to November 1, 2016.
We, the people of Ontario, are forever grateful to the many dedicated men and women who bravely and unselfishly gave their lives for Canada in wars and in peacekeeping efforts.
Their extraordinary courage and profound sacrifice must never be forgotten by us or future generations.
As a gesture of our respect for these men and women, we seek to unite in honouring their memories by observing two minutes of silence each Remembrance Day.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Two minutes of silence
1. It is hereby declared that at 11:00 a.m. on each Remembrance Day, the people of Ontario shall pause and observe two minutes of silence in honour of those who died serving their country in wars and in peacekeeping efforts. 1997, c. 18, s. 1.
2. The purposes of this Act can only be achieved through voluntary observance and through our collective desire to remember. 1997, c. 18, s. 2.
Suggestions for observing the silence
3. The following are suggested as ways in which we may promote the observance of the silence:
1. We can participate in a traditional Remembrance Day service at a war memorial or cenotaph.
2. We can, if driving, pull our vehicles to the side of the road and sit quietly.
3. We can announce the silence on the public address systems of our places of business and of our institutions.
4. We can gather in common areas of our places of business and of our institutions.
5. We can briefly shut down our assembly lines.
6. We can hold Remembrance Day assemblies in our schools, colleges and universities.
7. We can hold Remembrance Day services in our places of worship. 1997, c. 18, s. 3.
4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act). 1997, c. 18, s. 4.
5. Omitted (enacts short title of this Act). 1997, c. 18, s. 5.