Enforcement of Judgments Conventions Act, 1999, S.O. 1999, c. 12, Sched. CSkip to content
|current||December 22, 1999 – (e-Laws currency date)|
Enforcement of Judgments Conventions Act, 1999
S.O. 1999, CHAPTER 12
Consolidation Period: From December 22, 1999 to the e-Laws currency date.
1. In this Act,
“convention” means a convention existing with a country designated by regulation and to which this Act gives force of law. 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 1.
Designation of jurisdiction and court
2. The Attorney General shall,
(a) request that the Government of Canada designate Ontario as a territorial unit to which a convention extends;
(b) determine the courts in Ontario to which application for registration of a judgment rendered by a court of a country with which a convention has been concluded may be made, and request the Government of Canada to designate those courts for the purpose of the convention. 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 2.
Convention in force and given force of law
3. From the date a convention enters into force in respect of Ontario as determined by the convention, the convention is in force in Ontario and its provisions are law in Ontario. 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 3.
Prevalence of this Act
4. Where there is a conflict between this Act and any other Act on recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments, this Act prevails. 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 4.
5. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations to,
(a) specify when a new convention comes into force in Ontario (in which case the text of the convention shall be set out in the regulation);
(b) specify the courts to which application for registration of a judgment rendered by a court of a country with which a convention has been concluded may be made;
(c) state the arrangements that may be completed in application of a convention;
(d) prescribe the proceedings necessary for recovery of support;
(e) designate the competent authority to certify copies of judgments to be enforced abroad;
(f) designate the countries with which a convention has been concluded;
(g) otherwise carry out the intent and purpose of this Act. 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 5.
6. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act). 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 6.
7. Omitted (enacts short title of this Act). 1999, c. 12, Sched. C, s. 7.