University of Ottawa Heart Institute Act, 1999, S.O. 1999, c. 16Skip to content
|current||April 1, 2000 – (e-Laws currency date)|
University of Ottawa Heart Institute Act, 1999
S.O. 1999, CHAPTER 16
Consolidation Period: From April 1, 2000 to the e-Laws currency date.
1. In this Act,
“Hospital” means The Ottawa Hospital/L’Hôpital d’Ottawa; (“Hôpital”)
“Institute” means the University of Ottawa Heart Institute/Institut de cardiologie de l’Université d’Ottawa; (“Institut”)
“Minister” means the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care or such other member of the Executive Council as may be responsible for the administration of this Act; (“ministre”)
“Ministry” means the ministry of the Minister. (“ministère”) 1999, c. 16, s. 1.
Institute may provide cardiac services to patients of Hospital
2. The Institute may provide cardiac services to the patients of the Hospital pursuant to a service agreement entered into by the Hospital and the Institute. 1999, c. 16, s. 2.
3. The Institute shall enter into a service agreement with the Hospital setting out their respective obligations with respect to the provision of cardiac services by the Institute to the patients of the Hospital. 1999, c. 16, s. 3.
Payments to Institute
Terms and conditions
(2) The Minister may impose terms and conditions on grants, loans and financial assistance provided under this section and may from time to time amend or remove the terms and conditions or impose new terms and conditions. 1999, c. 16, s. 4 (2).
Security for payment
(3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (2), the Minister may, as a condition of providing grants, loans and financial assistance under this section, require the Institute to secure their repayment in the manner determined by the Minister. 1999, c. 16, s. 4 (3).
Reduce or terminate grants, etc.
(4) The Minister may reduce the amount of any grant, loan or financial assistance, may suspend or terminate any grant, loan or financial assistance or may withhold payment in whole or in part of any grant, loan or financial assistance if the Minister considers it in the public interest to do so. 1999, c. 16, s. 4 (4).
Hospital funding requirements apply
(5) The Institute shall comply with the same requirements, policies and procedures of the Ministry, including the provision of budgets, operating plans and financial reports, that public hospitals are required to comply with to obtain grants, loans and financial assistance under section 5 of the Public Hospitals Act. 1999, c. 16, s. 4 (5).
(6) The money required for the purposes of this section shall be paid out of money appropriated for those purposes by the Legislature. 1999, c. 16, s. 4 (6).
(a) the quality of the management and administration of the Institute;
(b) the proper management of the health care system in general;
(c) the availability of financial resources for the management of the health care system and for the delivery of health care services;
(d) the accessibility to health services in the community where the Institute is located; and
(e) the quality of the care and treatment of patients. 1999, c. 16, s. 5 (1).
No proceeding against the Crown
(2) No proceeding shall be commenced against the Crown or the Minister with respect to a decision under section 4. 1999, c. 16, s. 5 (2).
Protection from personal liability
6. No action or other proceeding for damages or otherwise shall be instituted against any member of the board of the Institute or any committee of the board of the Institute for any act done in good faith in implementing any terms or conditions imposed by the Minister under subsection 4 (2) or for any alleged neglect or default in the execution in good faith of any such act. 1999, c. 16, s. 6.
7. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act). 1999, c. 16, s. 7.
8. Omitted (enacts short title of this Act). 1999, c. 16, s. 8.