Collection Agencies Amendment Act, 2000, S.O. 2000, c. 2 - Bill 37Skip to content
The Bill amends the Collection Agencies Act to remove the non–resident restrictions for individuals or corporations that carry on business as a collection agency. The Bill retains the requirement with respect to the place of incorporation of a corporation that carries on business as a collection agency.
An Act to amend the
Collection Agencies Act
Assented to April 12, 2000
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The definitions of “equity share”, “non-resident” and “resident” in subsection 1 (1) of the Collection Agencies Act are repealed.
2. Subsection 6 (1) of the Act is amended by striking out “or” at the end of clause (d) and by repealing clause (e).
3. Section 10 of the Act is repealed.
4. Section 11 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Place of incorporation
11. No corporation shall carry on business in Ontario as a collection agency if it is not incorporated by or under an Act of Ontario, Canada or another province or a territory of Canada.
5. Despite sections 1 to 4, subsection 1 (1), clause 6 (1) (e) and sections 10 and 11 of the Act, as they read immediately before this Act comes into force, continue to apply to individuals and corporations with respect to the time period before this Act comes into force.
6. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
7. The short title of this Act is the Collection Agencies Amendment Act, 2000.