Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Amendment Act (Interim Period), 2019, S.O. 2019, c. 11 - Bill 117Skip to content
This Explanatory Note was written as a reader’s aid to Bill 117 and does not form part of the law. Bill 117 has been enacted as Chapter 11 of the Statutes of Ontario, 2019.
The Bill amends the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act by adding section 21.1, which provides for the application of certain rules during an interim period ending on January 1, 2020 or on such other date as may be prescribed by regulations made by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
The rules permit the Solicitor General to appoint any person as the Chief Inspector during the interim period. They further provide that, during the interim period, the Chief Inspector may appoint any person as an inspector for the purposes of the Act. The Solicitor General is provided with regulation-making authority to prescribe classes of persons who may exercise the powers of inspectors during the interim period and more generally for the purpose of carrying out section 21.1.
An Act to amend the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act
Assented to June 6, 2019
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Special provisions during the interim period
Appointment of Chief Inspector
21.1 (1) The Solicitor General may appoint any person as the Chief Inspector for the interim period.
Appointment of inspectors
(2) The Chief Inspector appointed under this section may appoint any person as an inspector for the interim period.
Application of s. 6.1 (2)
(3) Subsection 6.1 (2) applies with necessary modifications to the Chief Inspector appointed under this section with respect to the inspectors appointed under this section.
(4) During the interim period, this Act applies with respect to an inspector appointed under this section as though the inspector were an inspector of the Society.
(5) A member of a prescribed class of persons may exercise the same powers as an inspector of the Society during the interim period.
(6) The Solicitor General may make regulations for the purpose of carrying out this section, including prescribing classes of persons for the purpose of subsection (5) and deeming references to the Society in sections 11.4 to 18.3 to be references to persons or entities specified in the regulations.
(7) In this section,
“interim period” means the period beginning on the day the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Amendment Act (Interim Period), 2019 receives Royal Assent and ending on January 1, 2020 or such other date as may be prescribed.
(d) prescribing a date for the purposes of the definition of “interim period” in subsection 21.1 (7).