Police Services Amendment Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 11 - Bill 59Skip to content
This Explanatory Note was written as a reader’s aid to Bill 59 and does not form part of the law. Bill 59 has been enacted as Chapter 11 of the Statutes of Ontario, 2001.
The Bill amends the Police Services Act to allow municipalities an additional choice in the way that they provide police services. Section 5 of the current Act requires municipalities to provide police services by means of only one of a number of listed methods. The Bill allows municipalities to combine two or more methods where the municipality contains remote or widely dispersed communities or where police services have historically been provided by a different method in a discrete area of the municipality.
An Act to amend the
Police Services Act
Assented to June 29, 2001
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 5 of the Police Services Act, as re-enacted by the Statutes of Ontario, 1997, chapter 8, section 4, is amended by adding the following subsections:
Same – different methods in one
(2) Subject to subsection (3), a municipality’s responsibility to provide police services may be discharged in one way set out in subsection (1) in one discrete area of the municipality and in another way or ways set out in subsection (1) in other discrete areas of the municipality if,
(a) the municipality consists of two or more widely dispersed communities or contains, within its boundaries, one or more communities that are remote from the rest of the municipality; or
(b) police services have historically been provided to one or more discrete areas of the municipality in a way that is different from the way police services are provided in the rest of the municipality.
or joint board
(3) All the police services provided in one municipality, except police services provided in a way described in paragraph 4 of subsection (1) or police services provided in the municipality by the Ontario Provincial Police under section 5.1, must be provided under one board or joint board.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Police Services Amendment Act, 2001.