Legislative Assembly Amendment Act (Board of Internal Economy), 2012, S.O. 2012, c. 12 - Bill 116Skip to content
This Explanatory Note was written as a reader’s aid to Bill 116 and does not form part of the law. Bill 116 has been enacted as Chapter 12 of the Statutes of Ontario, 2012.
The Bill amends the Legislative Assembly Act to change the composition of the Board of Internal Economy. Apart from the Speaker, there is one member of the Executive Council appointed by the Executive Council, one member appointed by each recognized opposition party and some other members appointed by the Government party. The total of the number of the latter members, together with the member appointed by the Executive Council, is equal to the total number of members appointed by the opposition parties.
An Act to amend the Legislative Assembly Act with respect to the Board of Internal Economy
Assented to September 11, 2012
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
Board of Internal Economy, composition
87. (1) There shall be a Board of Internal Economy composed of,
(a) the Speaker;
(b) one commissioner that the Lieutenant Governor in Council appoints from among the members of the Executive Council;
(c) one commissioner that the caucus of each recognized party, within the meaning of subsection 62 (5), that is not the party from which the Government is chosen appoints from among its members; and
(d) a number of commissioners that the caucus of the party from which the Government is chosen appoints from among its members, so that the total number of those commissioners and the commissioner who may be appointed under clause (b) is equal to the total number of commissioners who may be appointed under clause (c).
(2) The Speaker shall be the chair and a non-voting member of the Board.
Notice to Speaker
(3) Within 10 days of appointing a person as a commissioner, the Lieutenant Governor in Council or the caucus of the party making the appointment shall communicate the name of the person appointed to the Speaker.
Notice to Assembly
(4) The Speaker shall communicate to the Assembly the name of each person appointed as a commissioner.
(5) A quorum of the Board consists of the Speaker, the commissioner appointed under clause (1) (b) and one commissioner appointed under clause (1) (c).
(6) Until the first commissioner is appointed on or after the day the Legislative Assembly Amendment Act (Board of Internal Economy), 2012 receives Royal Assent and the name of the commissioner is communicated to the Speaker under subsection (3),
(a) the commissioners who were appointed before the day that Act receives Royal Assent shall continue in office; and
(b) the quorum of the Board shall be as set out in subsection (3) of this section, as it read on the day immediately before the day that Act receives Royal Assent.