Early Researcher Awards
How to get government funding to build a research team.
How it works
The Early Researcher Awards program gives funding to new researchers working at publicly funded Ontario research centres, including:
- research hospitals
- research institutes
You can use the money to build a research team of:
- graduate students
- post-doctoral fellows
- research assistants
- research associates
Who is eligible
You are eligible if you:
- are a full-time faculty member or principal investigator at an eligible research institution
- started your academic research career no more than 5 years ago (as of July 1, 2013)
- completed your first PhD, DVM or MD no more than 10 years ago (as of July 1, 2013)
- have not already held an Early Researcher Award
- are not a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair
Your research centre needs to provide an additional $50,000.
The government will provide up to $40,000 to your research centre for indirect costs.
How to apply
The application process involves 4 steps:
Step 1: Notify your research centre that you plan to apply.
Step 2: Your research centre submits a Notice of Intent to apply (a document that lets the government know you plan to apply for an award).
Step 3: Gather the documents for your application package, including:
- a signed letter from your research centre confirming it will match award funding
- application form
- research proposal (no more than 5 pages)
- your curriculum vitae
- three original, signed letters of reference
Step 4: Your research centre submits the complete application package to the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
View the Program Guidelines for detailed application instructions.
Notice of Intent due: Friday, May 30, 2014
Last date to mail complete application package: Monday, August 11, 2014
The review panel scores applicants on:
- excellence of the researcher
- quality of the proposal
- development of research talent
- benefits for Ontario (e.g. cultural, economic, etc.)
Unsuccessful applicants will get a copy of the review panel’s comments.
Information about projects supported through the Early Researcher Awards can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
If you have questions, please contact:
Email: contact us
Email: contact us