Ontario Research Fund: Research Infrastructure
How to apply for funding to help cover the costs of research infrastructure (e.g., renovating facilities, purchasing equipment, etc.).
How it works
The Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure - provides research institutions with funding to help support infrastructure needs such as modern facilities and equipment.
Both the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation provide funding.
You need to apply to both programs at the same time.
The Ontario Research Fund - Research Infrastructure has three programs.
- helps cover the costs of building/renovating and equipping facilities to conduct collaborative academic research
- co-funds with Leading Edge Fund or New Initiatives Fund
- helps cover the costs of acquiring/renewing research equipment (e.g., specimens, scientific collections, computer software, information databases)
- co-funds with Leaders Opportunity Fund
- helps cover the costs of building/renovating and equipping research facilities to promote college-industry partnerships
- participation from private-sector partners is essential
- co-funds with Canada Foundation for Innovation’s College-Industry Innovation Fund
Who is eligible
Eligible institutions include:
- universities and colleges
- research hospitals
- non-profit research institutes
This funding comes from two places: the Ontario government and the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Each providing up to 40% of eligible costs.
The remaining 20% needs to come from private funding partners and/or your own research institution.
How to apply
Step 1: Notify your institution’s research office that you plan to apply.
Step 2: Your research office submits a Notice of Intent to apply to the Ontario Research Fund (except for the Small Infrastructure program).
Step 3: Gather the documents for your application package, including:
- a completed and signed application form, together with 1 photocopy and 1 electronic copy
- 1 hard copy and 1 electronic version of the application to the Canada Foundation for Innovation, together with all supporting materials provided with that application (e.g., finance module, CV, letters of support)
Step 4: Your research office submits the complete application package to the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
Application form and guidelines
The following application package is a compressed ZIP file containing the required documents. Download the application package and unzip the contents to get started.
Small Infrastructure applications need to be timed to your CFI Leaders Opportunity Fund application and submitted by one of these dates:
- June 14, 2013
- November 8, 2013
There are currently no upcoming competitions for the Large Infrastructure or College-Industry Innovation programs.
The ministry reviews both the Ontario Research Fund and corresponding Canada Foundation for Innovation application and looks for the:
- quality of the research and the researchers
- need for the infrastructure
- ability to attract highly qualified personnel and give them new high-level skills
- potential benefits to Ontario (economy, health, environment, quality of life, public policy, visibility in the global scientific community)
Information about projects supported through the Ontario Research Fund – Research Infrastructure program can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
For more information, please contact:
Ministry of Research and Innovation