Small business: advice, support services, regulations
How new or existing small businesses can get advice, support and information on government regulations.
Recommended for you
Business support services and advice
You can get helpful business advice, support and services at these offices and centres.
Small Business Enterprise Centres
These centres can help you start or grow a business. These centres offer:
- free consultations with a qualified business consultant
- internet and computer access for business research and planning
- review of business plans
- consultations through a lawyer or accountant referral service
- up-to-date information for entrepreneurs
- access to directories, trade indexes and books
- workshops and seminars
- guidance on licenses, permits, registration, regulations and other documents you need to start a business
- import and export information
- information on patents, copyright and trademarks
- mentoring and networking opportunities
Business Advisory Services
Our 12 Business Advisory Service offices can help you expand your business in Ontario and around the world. They offer:
- access to government programs and events
- market intelligence
- market development support, including help with exporting
- financial analysis and other benchmarking tools
- access to financial assistance
- support for innovation and new technology
- networking and expert advice
- information on government regulations, licences and permits for business.
Our comprehensive e-Business Toolkit is packed with resources to help you harness the power of the Internet and profit from e-business. The Toolkit contains an introductory handbook How You Can Profit from e-Business to help you get started and 16 booklets on a range of advanced e-business topics.
With the e-Business Toolkit as a guide you can:
- Learn about e-business and all the new trends
- Identify the right e-business solutions for your business
- Get started with first steps
- Apply advanced e-business techniques
Regulations set the standards and rules that ensure that the marketplace is safe and fair to everyone.
If you plan to – or currently – operate a business in Ontario, you could be affected by certain government regulations.
See the government’s online registry of regulations to:
- find out how new or proposed government regulations could affect your business
- comment on some proposed regulations
Search business permits/licences
To search permits and licenses, use Bizpal – an online tool jointly managed by the federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments.
For more information on small business in Ontario, contact:
Toll Free: 866-668-4249
TTY Toll-Free: 877-408-3414
Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
Attn: Communications and Public Affairs Branch
8th Floor, Hearst Block
900 Bay Street
Toronto ON M7A2E1