Enhanced driver’s licence
An enhanced driver’s licence is an upgrade to an Ontario driver’s licence that can be used as a travel document between Canada and the United States of America when travelling by road or water.
To apply for an enhanced driver’s licence you need to:
- be a Canadian citizen and an Ontario resident
- hold a valid Ontario driver's licence (except Class M1)
- have no travel restrictions
Before you arrive at a ServiceOntario centre:
For your appointment, you will need to bring:
- your valid Ontario driver’s licence in good standing
- a valid proof of citizenship document (see Appendix A of the enhanced driver’s licence applicant’s guide)
- a completed but unsigned copy of your citizenship questionnaire
- a completed but unsigned copy of your entitlement document
- a completed but unsigned copy of your consent form
- your marriage certificate, if you are applying under your married name
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Debit, Cash, Certified Cheque
6 to 8 weeks by secure delivery or pick up at a specified ServiceOntario centre
The temporary driver’s licence you receive before your card is ready for pick up can’t be used to travel to the United States.
Notice: As of September 1, 2013, some fees have changed for driver and vehicle services. Learn more about which fees have changed and which fees will be changing.
Recommended for you
This service is tested daily with McAfee SECURE™ to ensure of the transaction and information
What you need to know
An enhanced driver’s licence is a western hemisphere travel initiative compliant document that acts as proof of identity and citizenship when traveling to the United States by road or water. A valid passport is still required to enter the United States by air.
The picture on your photo I.D. must be:
- completely visible
- free of any obstructions
- a neutral expression
Head wear worn for religious or medical reasons can be worn, but must not cover any part of your face.
You may be asked to remove any head or face wear (e.g., eyeglasses) when taking a photo for government-issued identification.
Renewing an enhanced driver’s licence
The enhanced driver’s licence is valid for 5 years. It must be renewed every 5 years by booking at appointment for renewal at a ServiceOntario centre that offers the service.
You will receive a renewal reminder with a renewal form 2 to 3 months before it expires.
To renew, you will need to visit a ServiceOntario centre that offers enhanced driver’s licence services and:
- bring your enhanced driver’s licence as proof of identity and citizenship
- complete the renewal form included in the renewal reminder or available at a ServiceOntario centre
- fill out a renewal questionnaire available at a ServiceOntario centre
- pay the renewal fee of $40 plus the cost of renewing a driver’s licence (and any other fee or fine applied to you)
A temporary driver’s licence will be issued to you for use until your new enhanced driver’s licence arrives by secure delivery. You may also choose to pick it up at a ServiceOntario centre. A temporary driver’s licence cannot be used for entry into the United States.
Change information or address
If you have changed your name, marital status, sex designation or your height has changed, please visit a ServiceOntario centre that offers enhanced driver’s licence services to update the information on file.
If you have recently moved, you can visit any ServiceOntario centre to update your address.
- renew an enhanced driver’s licence: up to $120
- replace a lost, stolen or damaged enhanced driver’s licence: $20
- add or remove an age identifier: $20
- change the address, name or sex designation on your enhanced driver’s licence: free