What a death certificate is, and when you might need to have one.
To order a death certificate, you will need:
- The death to be registered in Ontario
- First and last name of the person who died
- Gender of the person who died
- Date of death
- Name of city or town in which death took place
- Parental information about the person who died
- Spouse or partner information of person who died, if applicable
Recommended for you
The death must be registered in Ontario to use this service.
The Long Form Death Certificate does not include medical cause of death. This is obtained by applying for an Extended Long Form Death Certificate by fax, mail or at a ServiceOntario centre
- Order a file-size death certificate: $15
- Order a certified death certificate: $22
VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Interac® Online
The online service is 15 business days plus delivery by regular mail. The premium online service is 5 business days including delivery by courier for an additional $30 per certificate.
Online completion time
Average 20 minutes.
What you need to know
In the event of a death, the attending physician or coroner completes the Medical Certificate of Death and gives it to the funeral director with the body of the deceased.
To register a death, a family member and the funeral director must complete the Statement of Death with information about the deceased.
Once completed, the Medical Certificate of Death and the Statement of Death are submitted to the local municipal clerk’s office by the funeral director.
Cause of death information gathered from death registrations is used for medical and health research and for statistical purposes.
The funeral director will issue copies of proof of death that you can use in certain situations. There are some organizations, however, that may require an official death certificate from the Province of Ontario.
You may need an official death certificate or certified copy for:
- settling an estate
- insurance purposes
- access to/termination of government services, e.g., health card, pension, voters' list
- genealogy searches
If you choose the online service, processing time is 15 business days plus delivery by regular mail or your money will be refunded. If you choose premium online service for an additional $30 per certificate, your certificate will be 5 business days including delivery by courier or your money will be refunded.
Check your order status
The status of your online application becomes available one business day after you submit it. To check the status online you will need:
- To indicate the type of certificate you requested (birth, death or marriage)
- Applicant’s name and telephone number
- Name of the subject (the person to be listed on the certificate)
- Date of the event
- Order / File Number, if available