O. Reg. 393/07: SMART METERING ENTITYSkip to content
Electricity Act, 1998
Smart Metering Entity
Consolidation Period: From September 30, 2017 to the e-Laws currency date.
Legislative History:, , .
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
0.1 In this Regulation,
“billing quantity data” means smart metering data that is ready for use in billing consumers for their consumption or use of electricity based on the time of day when the electricity was consumed or used; (“données quantitatives pour la facturation”)
“validation, estimating and editing services” means those validation, estimating and editing services, as specified by the Smart Metering Entity, that are performed on smart metering data to identify and account for missed or inaccurate smart metering data. (“services de validation, d’estimation et d’édition”) O. Reg. 233/08, s. 2.
Designation of IESO
1. The IESO is designated as the Smart Metering Entity. O. Reg. 393/07, s. 1.
Non-application of Business Corporations Act
2. Other than as prescribed in Ontario Regulation 610/98 (The IESO) made under the Act, the Business Corporations Act does not apply to the IESO. O. Reg. 393/07, s. 2; O. Reg. 292/14, s. 1.
Exemption, s. 53.10 of Act
3. The IESO is exempt from section 53.10 of the Act. O. Reg. 393/07, s. 3.
Required activities of Smart Metering Entity
4. The Smart Metering Entity shall specify what services constitute validation, estimating and editing services and any other services required to produce billing quantity data. O. Reg. 233/08, s. 3.
5. (1) The Smart Metering Entity has the exclusive authority to carry out the following functions:
1. Specifying its database and system interface requirements and information and data transfer requirements.
2. Receiving smart metering data for the purpose of carrying out the functions in paragraphs 3, 4 and 5, including receiving other information necessary for those functions.
3. Providing all services, as specified by the Smart Metering Entity, performed on smart metering data to produce billing quantity data, including validation, estimating and editing services.
4. Managing access rights to smart metering data and data derived from smart metering data in a manner consistent with the objects of the Smart Metering Entity set out in paragraph 4 of section 53.8 of the Act .
5. Subject to subsection (2), maintaining and operating a database of,
i. smart metering data and other data that is necessary for the Smart Metering Entity to perform the exclusive functions referred to in paragraph 3, and
ii. data that is derived through the exclusive functions referred to in paragraph 3. O. Reg. 233/08, s. 3.
(2) Paragraph 5 of subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a class of data that would otherwise fall within paragraph 5 where an order of the Board or a code issued by the Board specifically authorizes non-exclusivity of part of the function referenced in paragraph 5 for certain classes of data. O. Reg. 233/08, s. 3.
6. Revoked: O. Reg. 479/16, s. 1.