O. Reg. 369/09: POWER-ASSISTED BICYCLES
under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
|current||December 6, 2018 – (e-Laws currency date)|
|October 3, 2009 – December 5, 2018|
|October 1, 2009 – October 2, 2009|
Highway Traffic Act
ONTARIO REGULATION 369/09
Consolidation Period: From December 6, 2018 to the e-Laws currency date.
Last amendment: 487/18.
Legislative History: 487/18.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. The unladen weight of a power-assisted bicycle must not be more than 120 kilograms. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 1.
Wheel width, diameter
2. (1) The wheels of a power-assisted bicycle must not be less than 35 millimetres wide. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 2 (1).
(2) The diameter of the wheels of a power-assisted bicycle must not be less than 350 millimetres. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 2 (2).
Battery and motor
3. (1) The battery and motor of a power-assisted bicycle must be securely fastened to the bicycle to prevent them from moving while the bicycle is in motion. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 3 (1).
(2) The motor of a power-assisted bicycle must cease to propel the bicycle forward if pedalling stops, the accelerator is released or the brakes are applied. O. Reg. 487/18, s. 1.
4. All electric terminals on a power-assisted bicycle must be completely insulated and covered. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 4.
5. The brakes of a power-assisted bicycle must be capable of bringing the bicycle, while being operated at a speed of 30 kilometres per hour on a clean, paved and level surface, to a full stop within nine metres from the point at which the brakes were applied. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 5.
6. A power-assisted bicycle must not be ridden on, driven or operated if it has been modified after its manufacture in any way that may result in increasing its power or its maximum speed beyond the limits set out in clause (d) of the definition of “power-assisted bicycle” in section 2 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada). O. Reg. 369/09, s. 6.
Good working order
7. A power-assisted bicycle must not be ridden on, driven or operated unless it is in good working order. O. Reg. 369/09, s. 7.
8. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 369/09, s. 8.