O. Reg. 524/18: PUBLICATION OF CHIEF CORONER'S EXPLANATION OF THE DETERMINATION NOT TO HOLD AN INQUESTSkip to content
PUBLICATION OF CHIEF CORONER’S EXPLANATION OF THE DETERMINATION NOT TO HOLD AN INQUEST
Consolidation Period: From March 4, 2022 to the e-Laws currency date.
Legislative History: 524/18 (as am. by .
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. (1) For the purposes of subsection 18 (2) of the Act, the Chief Coroner’s explanation must include all of the following information:
1. The gender of the deceased.
2. Which of the following age categories the deceased was in at the time of death:
i. 12 years of age or younger.
ii. More than 12 years of age but less than 25 years of age.
iii. 25 years of age or older.
3. The race of the deceased, if that information was provided to the coroner by a family member of the deceased.
4. The date and time of death.
5. The approximate location of the incident that was investigated by the Special Investigations Unit.
6. The name of the responding police force.
Note: On the day subsection 2 (1) of Schedule 1 (Community Safety and Policing Act, 2019) to the Comprehensive Ontario Police Services Act, 2019 comes into force, paragraph 6 of subsection 1 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “police force” at the end and substituting “police service”. (See: O. Reg. 155/22, s. 1 (2))
7. The case number assigned by the Special Investigations Unit.
8. The start and end date of the coroner’s investigation.
9. A brief synopsis of the incident, including only those details that are necessary to understand how and by what means the death occurred.
10. The reasons why the coroner determined that an inquest is unnecessary, which must,
i. refer to the considerations set out in subsection 20 (1) of the Act, and
ii. include any findings from the coroner’s investigation that are required to explain why an inquest is unnecessary. O. Reg. 524/18, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 155/22, s. 1 (1).
(2) The Chief Coroner’s explanation shall not include the name of any individual. O. Reg. 524/18, s. 1 (2).
(3) The Chief Coroner shall not publish the explanation until the later of,
(a) the day a report made under section 34 of the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019 on the results of the Special Investigations Unit’s investigation is made public; or
(b) if the Special Investigations Unit lays a criminal charge as a result of its investigation, the day the charge or any appeal from a conviction or an acquittal of the offence charged has been finally disposed of or the time for taking an appeal has expired. O. Reg. 155/22, s. 1 (3).
2. Revoked: O. Reg. 155/22, s. 2.
3. (1) Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation).
(2)-(4) Revoked: O. Reg. 155/22, s. 3.