O. Reg. 603/20: GENERAL
filed October 30, 2020 under Police Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15Skip to content
ontario regulation 603/20
made under the
Police Services Act
Made: October 29, 2020
Filed: October 30, 2020
Published on e-Laws: October 30, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: November 14, 2020
Amending O. Reg. 268/10
Investigation of Certain Incidents by Chief of Police
31. In this Part,
“incident” means an incident referred to in subsection 15 (1) of the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019; (“incident”)
“SIU Director” has the same meaning as in the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019. (“directeur de l’UES”)
32. (1) A chief of police shall promptly cause an investigation to be conducted into any incident involving a police officer in the chief’s police force that becomes the subject of an investigation by the SIU Director under section 15 of the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019.
(2) The purpose of the chief of police’s investigation is to review the policies of or services provided by the police force and the conduct of its police officers.
(3) The chief of police’s investigation is subject to the lead role of the SIU Director in investigating the incident.
Duty to comply
33. All members of a police force shall co-operate fully in the conduct of the chief of police’s investigation.
34. (1) In the case of an investigation by a chief of police of a municipal police force, the chief shall, no later than the day referred to in subsection (3), report to the board of the police force his or her findings and any action taken or recommended to be taken, and the board may make the chief’s report available to the public.
(2) In the case of investigation by the Commissioner, the Commissioner shall, no later than the day referred to in subsection (3), prepare a report of his or her findings and any action taken, and may make the report available to the public.
(3) The day referred to in subsections (1) and (2) is the day that is 30 days after the SIU Director has, in relation to the incident, either given public notice under section 33 of the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019 or published a report under section 34 of that Act.
35. An investigation commenced under section 11 of Ontario Regulation 267/10 (Conduct and Duties of Police Officers Respecting Investigations by the Special Investigations Unit) before the revocation of that regulation shall be continued under this Part, if a report into the investigation had not been prepared in accordance with that section before the revocation.
2. Subclause 2 (1) (c) (ii) of the Schedule to the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(ii) fails to comply with any provision of the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019,
(ii.1) failed to comply with any provision of Ontario Regulation 267/10 (Conduct and Duties of Police Officers Respecting Investigations by the Special Investigations Unit) before the revocation of that regulation,
3. Ontario Regulation 371/18 is revoked.
4. (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
(2) Sections 1 and 2 come into force on the later of the day paragraph 3 of section 43 of Schedule 5 to the Comprehensive Ontario Police Services Act, 2019 comes into force and the day this Regulation is filed.