O. Reg. 244/21: GENERAL
filed April 1, 2021 under Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.31Skip to content
ontario regulation 244/21
made under the
Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act
Made: April 1, 2021
Filed: April 1, 2021
Published on e-Laws: April 6, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: April 17, 2021
Amending O. Reg. 627/20
1. Ontario Regulation 627/20 is amended by adding the following section:
4.1 (1) Without limiting the generality of paragraphs 1 and 2 of section 5.7 of the Act, the ombudsperson shall carry out the following duties:
1. To receive, investigate and respond to complaints from owners and purchasers of homes regarding the Corporation’s compliance with the Act, the regulations and the administrative agreement.
2. To provide information to owners and purchasers of homes regarding assistance or remedies that may be available under the Act and the regulations.
3. To identify, inquire into and analyze,
i. trends in complaints from owners and purchasers of homes, and
ii. policy matters and systemic issues involving the Corporation.
4. To develop and submit reports to the Corporation or the board at any time regarding the activities, findings or recommendations of the ombudsperson.
5. To publish such reports under paragraph 4 as the ombudsperson considers appropriate on the ombudsperson’s website and by any other means the ombudsperson considers appropriate.
6. To develop and publish on the ombudsperson’s website and by any other means the ombudsperson considers appropriate an annual report that includes the following:
i. A summary of the activities of the ombudsperson over the prior year related to their duties under the Act, including any relevant findings in respect of the trends, matters or issues referred to in paragraph 3.
ii. Recommendations by the ombudsperson in respect of the administration of the Act by the Corporation and the Corporation’s progress in responding to them.
7. To establish, maintain and publish on its website a policy with respect to the collection, use, disclosure and retention of information by the ombudsperson.
8. To maintain independence, fairness and impartiality in carrying out the ombudsperson’s duties.
(2) In carrying out the ombudsperson’s duties, the ombudsperson shall not consider complaints made by builders or vendors.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.