O. Reg. 414/21: EQUIPMENT
filed June 7, 2021 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 414/21
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: June 3, 2021
Filed: June 7, 2021
Published on e-Laws: June 7, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 26, 2021
Amending Reg. 587 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Regulation 587 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following sections:
19. (1) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall operate a bus or cause or permit a bus to be operated, unless the bus has,
(a) at least two doors or exits; or
(b) at least three push-out windows on each side of the passenger compartment of the vehicle, each of which,
(i) has a minimum height of twenty inches and a minimum width of thirty inches,
(ii) is designed, constructed and maintained to open outwards when a reasonable amount of manual force is applied to the inside of the window, and
(iii) displays on or adjacent to the window adequate directions for its emergency use.
(2) One of the doors or exits required by clause (1) (a) shall be,
(a) for use only in an emergency; and
(b) located at the rear of the vehicle or near the rear on the left side of the vehicle.
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of,
(a) an accessible vehicle as defined in subsection 1 (1) of Regulation 629 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 (Accessible Vehicles) made under the Act;
(b) a bus used to transport prisoners or other persons held in custody; or
(c) a bus that has 15 or fewer passenger seats if the bus,
(i) has all the doors, exits and windows with which the vehicle was equipped at time of manufacture,
(ii) displays a label containing a national safety mark, verifying compliance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time of its manufacture, or other label verifying compliance with a comparable standard of the Government of the United States,
(iii) has not been modified, including by the addition of luggage racks, after-market storage units, or partitions, and
(iv) does not have a body on chassis frame construction.
20. No person shall operate a bus or cause or permit a bus to be operated unless it is equipped with one or more lights within the vehicle that are arranged to provide adequate lighting for the whole of the interior of the vehicle.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the later of the day section 2 of Schedule 23 to the Better for People, Smarter for Business Act, 2020 comes into force and the day this Regulation is filed.