Register a birth (new baby)
How to register a new baby’s birth and in one transaction:
- get a birth certificate
- apply for a social insurance number (SIN) and
- sign up for Canada child benefits (including Ontario child benefits)
This is called the 4-in-1 Newborn Bundle.
Who can register and when
You can use the 4-in-1 Newborn Bundle if:
- the baby is born in Ontario
- the baby is under 12 months
- the baby has not been registered before
- you are an eligible parent or guardian
What you need to register
To register a birth, you need to provide:
- the baby’s date of birth
- the baby’s first, middle and last names
- your parental information
- the name of the hospital or birthing centre
- the name of the person at the birth (physician, midwife or other)
- the baby’s weight
- the length of pregnancy in weeks
You can find some of this information on the hospital release form you get after your baby is born.
Save and print your receipt at the end of your transaction.
Birth registration: Free
- Short form birth certificate - $25
- Long form birth certificate - $35
Social insurance number: Free
Canada child benefits (including Ontario child benefits): Free
VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Interac® Online
Online completion time
Average 30 minutes.
6 to 8 weeks to receive the documents by mail.
Recommended for you
This service is tested daily with McAfee SECURE™ to ensure the security of the transaction and information.
What you need to know
Every baby born in Ontario needs to be registered with the province.
You can register a birth online, in the first 12 months after a baby is born.
Babies aged 1 year or older
You need to:
- Order a birth certificate
- ServiceOntario will confirm that your baby has not been registered and will send you a package for delayed registration of birth
- Complete the registration package and return it by mail to the address provided in the package or in person to:
47 Sheppard Avenue East, unit 417, 4th Floor
Toronto, ON M2N 5N1
Check status of delivery
If you applied online using the 4-in1 Newborn Bundle you can check the status of delivery for:
- birth certificate (online)
- Social insurance number (by telephone)
- Canada childcare benefits (by telephone)
How do I
Top 25 baby names for 2011