Register a birth (new baby)
How to register a new baby’s birth and in one transaction:
- get a birth certificate
- apply for a social insurance number (SIN) and
- sign up for Canada child benefits (including Ontario child benefits)
This is called the 4-in-1 Newborn Bundle.
Who can register and when
You can use the 4-in-1 Newborn Bundle if:
- the baby is born in Ontario
- the baby is under 12 months
- the baby has not been registered before
- you are an eligible parent or guardian
What you need to register
To register a birth, you need to provide:
- the baby’s date of birth
- the baby’s first, middle and last names
- your parental information
- the name of the hospital or birthing centre
- the name of the person at the birth (physician, midwife or other)
- the baby’s weight
- the length of pregnancy in weeks
You can find some of this information on the hospital release form you get after your baby is born.
Save and print your receipt at the end of your transaction.
Birth registration: Free
- short form birth certificate - $25
- long form birth certificate - $35
Social insurance number: Free
Canada child benefits (including Ontario child benefits): Free
VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Interac® Online
Online completion time
Average 25 minutes.
6 to 8 weeks to receive the documents by mail.
Recommended for you
This service is tested daily with McAfee SECURE™ to ensure the security of the transaction and information
What you need to know
Every baby born in Ontario needs to be registered with the province.
You can register a birth online, in the first 12 months after a baby is born.
Before you order a birth certificate, check the Passport Canada list of acceptable documents to ensure you are ordering the correct version.
If you are unsure if you need a short form certificate or long form certificate, please check with the Ministry, government agency, or person requesting the document before you order.
A short form birth certificate includes basic information and can be used as identification. It includes this information:
- last name
- given name(s)
- date of birth
- certificate number
- date of registration
- registration number, and
- date issued
A long form birth certificate is a certified copy of the birth registration. You might need it if you:
- move to another country
- become an executor for a foreign estate
- are adopting a child abroad, or
- fill out certain citizenship or immigration documents
Babies aged 1 year or older
You need to:
- order a birth certificate
- ServiceOntario will confirm that your baby has not been registered and will send you a package for delayed registration of birth
- complete the registration package and return it by mail to the address provided in the package or in person to:
47 Sheppard Avenue East, unit 417, 4th Floor
Toronto, ON M2N 5N1
Check status of delivery
If you applied online using the 4-in1 Newborn Bundle you can check the status of delivery for:
- birth certificate (online)
- social insurance number (by telephone)
- Canada childcare benefits (by telephone)
How do I
Ontario's routine immunization schedule tool
This immunization tool will help you learn about Ontario's free vaccine program, and make it easy to keep your family up to date with the recommended vaccinations.