Fresh, crisp asparagus is the star in this family-friendly supper. A small amount of light sour cream adds creaminess without a lot of added calories. Serve with a green salad.
Baking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Ontario Old Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa verde or tomatillo salsa (green salsa)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) low fat Ontario Sour Cream
- Salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 8-inch (20 cm) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked Ontario Chicken
- Ontario Pea Sprouts and salsa verde
In large pot of boiling water, cook asparagus until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; set aside.
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in fl our until absorbed. Gradually stir in broth and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cheese until melted. Stir in salsa and sour cream. Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper fl akes.
Sprinkle each tortilla with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the cheese and 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the shredded chicken. Arrange asparagus spears in centre of each tortilla. Spoon 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the sauce over each, roll-up and place seam side down in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with pea sprouts and additional salsa.
1 Serving (2 Enchiladas):
- PROTEIN: 44 grams
- FAT: 33 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 52 grams
- CALORIES: 688
- FIBRE: 6 grams
- SODIUM: 1270 mg