The classic combination of mixed Ontario Mushrooms, shrimp and pasta in a delicate lower fat sauce will become a new family favourite. This flavour packed, one-pot dish is quick to prepare.
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 cups (1 L) farfalle or rigatoni pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) mixed Ontario Mushrooms, sliced (crimini, shiitake and/or white button)
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 large Ontario Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each of dried thyme leaves and salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% Ontario Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 lb (500 g) large frozen shrimp, thawed peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmiagiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. In same pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms, garlic, onion, thyme leaves, salt and pepper; stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms have browned.
Whisk flour into milk and gradually stir into pot along with chicken stock; bring to simmer. Add shrimp; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in drained pasta, 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the cheese and hot pepper sauce; cook, stirring gently, until thickened and shrimp are cooked. Taste and adjust seasonings with more hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper if desired. Stir in parsley; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- PROTEIN: 30 grams
- FAT: 9 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 45 grams
- CALORIES: 385
- SOURCE OF FIBRE