A perfect way to start a meal, turn onions and apples into a rich satisfying soup. The apples lend a beautiful sweetness that rounds out the mild flavour of curry.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 2 Ontario Onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) curry powder
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Ontario Apples, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) apricot jam
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% Ontario Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% Ontario Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cold water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped Ontario Chives
- Thinly sliced Ontario Apple
In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are soft, about 6 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Stir in broth, apples and jam. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
Transfer soup to blender or food processor, in batches if necessary, and purée until smooth. Return soup to pot over medium-low heat. Add milk, cream, honey and salt.
In small bowl, stir cornstarch with cold water until smooth. Stir into soup and bring to simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with chives and apples.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- PROTEIN: 5 grams
- FAT: 22 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 28 grams
- CALORIES: 322
- FIBRE: 2 gram
- SODIUM: 630 mg