Jarred curry paste not only simplifies this healthy vegetarian dish but also adds authentic flavour. The cardamom seeds add great flavour too; look for green cardamom pods in a bulk food store or the spice aisle of your grocery store. Serve with chapatti, roti or naan bread.
- 1 large Ontario Onion, coarsley chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Indian curry paste (mild or Madras)
- 10 cardamon pods
- 2 medium Ontario Sweet Potatoes, about 1 lb (500 g), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 small Ontario Cauliflower (about 1 lb/500 g) without leave and stem, cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Natural yogurt (optional)
Heat large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and curry paste, stirring paste thoroughly into onion; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Smash cardamom pods with large knife or meat mallet. Remove small brown seeds (discard pods) and stir into onion mixture along with sweet potatoes; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in lentils and broth; cover and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add cauliflower and return to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat; stir in coriander. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand a few minutes before serving with dollop of yogurt, if desired.
Tip: This dish reheats well in the microwave.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 13.0 grams
- Fat: 5.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 59.0 grams
- Calories: 310
- Very High Source of Fibre