Kids of all ages will enjoy topping their bowl of this Mexican inspired soup. If you like heat, stir in hot sauce to taste.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 oz (250 g) extra-lean Ontario Ground Turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin and dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Peppers
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Carrot
- 4 cups (1 L) no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Ontario Cheddar Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) diced Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes
- Optional Toppings: Ontario Sour Cream
- Fresh Ontario Coriander
In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook breaking up turkey with wooden spoon for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add peppers, carrot, broth, 1 cup (250 mL) water and tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add beans and corn; simmer for 3 minutes or until warm. Ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese and tomatoes. Serve with suggested toppings.
Freeze Ontario corn in the summer to enjoy year-round. This soup is a great make-ahead as the flavours develop on standing.
Reheat on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Pack any leftover soup to reheat for lunch the next day.
- Calories: 258
- Protein: 18 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrate: 26 grams
- Fibre: 6 grams
- Sodium: 550 mg