Add a taste of the Greek islands to your next summer supper with this elegant main dish salad. Plump ripe Ontario tomatoes and succulent grilled shrimp make perfect partners in this colourful, easy-on-the-cook entrée. Serve with crusty rolls.
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried oregano and basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each chopped Ontario Sweet Red and Green Peppers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber
- 2 Ontario Field Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) small pasta (fusilli, gemelli, penne, etc.) cooked and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sliced Kalamata olives
- Salt and pepper
In jar with tight-fitting lid, shake together oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Divide in half. Spoon one half over shrimp in medium bowl; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until needed, 30 minutes to 4 hours. Set other half of vinaigrette aside.
Thread shrimp onto skewers or place in grill basket. Grill over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until pink. Remove from skewers.
In large bowl, toss together reserved vinaigrette, red and green peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, dill, cooked pasta, cheese and olives; taste and adjust seasonings. (Can be made a day ahead. Serve at room temperature.)
Variation: Replace shrimp with 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts. Marinate as for shrimp. Grill chicken breasts whole, then slice and add to salad.
- PROTEIN: 35 grams
- FAT: 29 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 35 grams
- CALORIES: 542
- SOURCE OF FIBRE