Use the rice and fish still slightly warm for best results, and assemble the rolls just before serving to keep the toasted nori wrappers crispy. Serve with a small dish of soy sauce and some additional wasabi.
Marinating Time: 30 minutes
- 1 fresh Ontario Rainbow Trout Fillet, skin on (about 375 g)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each Ontario Honey and rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each wasabi paste and finely minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) sushi rice (short-grain rice), well rinsed in cold water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 4 toasted nori sheets
- Half Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, thinly slivered
- 1 Ontario Carrot, thinly slivered
- 8 stalks Ontario Watercress
Rinse fish under cold water; pat dry. In shallow dish, combine soy sauce, honey, vinegar, wasabi and ginger. Add fish and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
In medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water and rice; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Gently stir in seasoned vinegar with fork.
Divide into 4 portions and cover with damp cloth.
Spray grill pan or grill with cooking spray. Remove trout from marinade; place, skin-side down, on grill over medium-high heat. Cover with lid; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn fish with spatula; cover and cook for 2 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Remove skin and sprinkle both sides with toasted sesame seeds.
Place sheet of nori on clean dishcloth or bamboo sushi mat lined with plastic wrap. Dampen fingers with water; lightly press one portion of rice into thin layer to cover nori, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) section at the top edge without rice.
Make shallow groove along centre of rice; place a few slivers of yellow pepper and carrot inside groove. Top with one-quarter of the trout, broken into narrow pieces with your fingers, and a few sprigs watercress. Curl edge of mat to help form toasted nori into cylinder, pressing firmly to enclose filling; seal edge with water. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 rolls. Slice each roll into bite-sized pieces.
1 Serving (per 6 piece sushi roll serving):
- PROTEIN: 22 grams
- FAT: 7 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 46 grams
- CALORIES: 342
- FIBRE: 1 gram
- SODIUM: 448 mg