When Ontario lettuce is hard to find, look to hearty salads such as this one. It's nutritious, quick to make and travels well for lunch the next day.
Roasting Time: about 15 minutes
- 1 Ontario Beet
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 slices Ontario Bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 Ontario Apples
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced Ontario Carrot
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice (approx)
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
Peel beet and cut into pieces no larger than 1/2-inch (1 cm). Place on large baking sheet and toss with about 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven, stirring twice until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain on paper towel lined plate.
In medium serving bowl, stir together apples, lentils, carrot and parsley; gently stir in beets. Whisk together remaining oil, lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper; stir into salad. Sprinkle with bacon and feta. Serve at room temperature. (Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day).
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 6 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrate: 20 grams
- Calories: 153