Fresh berries are one of Ontario's sweetest pleasures. They need little embellishment (if any!). Here they've been gently tossed with a mint ginger syrup to enhance their flavour.
Standing Time: 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Mint
- 10 thin peeled slices fresh gingerroot
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange liqueur (optional)
- 4 cups (1 L) whole Ontario Strawberries
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Blueberries or Blackberries or a combination
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Raspberries
- Ontario Mint Sprigs
In small saucepan, combine water and sugar; bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute, remove from heat and stir in mint, ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves and orange liqueur (if using). Let stand covered for 30 minutes or until cooled.
Meanwhile, slice strawberries in half if they are large. Place in a bowl along with blueberries and raspberries. Place a sieve over a bowl and strain mint syrup, pressing mint with back of spoon. Toss fruit with syrup. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for a few hours. Garnish with mint.
Fruit and syrup can be prepared the night before, covered and refrigerated. Toss just before serving.
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0.5 grams
- Carboydrate: 21 grams
- Calories: 93
- Fibre: 4 grams
- Sodium: 4 mg