Serve this colourful and hearty pasta dish with crusty bread. The sauce takes about the same time to cook as the pasta, so bring the water to a boil while chopping the vegetables for a streamlined approach to the suppertime crunch. Roughly chop vegetables for a rustic look.
- 3 cups (750 mL) gemelli or penne pasta (8 oz/250 g)
- 2 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Crmimin or White Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) seasoned chunky tomatoes (for pasta)
- 3 cups (750 mL) fresh Ontario Baby Spinach
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm.
Meanwhile, heat Dutch oven or large deep sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Cook prosciutto in single layer until crisp, about 30 seconds per side. Remove to paper towel and pat off excess fat. Let cool; cut into thin strips.
Add oil to same pan. Add onion, yellow pepper and mushrooms; cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions and pepper soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and pepper flakes; cook for about 15 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer briskly for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach until wilted, about 30 seconds.
Drain pasta and toss with sauce. To serve, sprinkle with prosciutto strips and cheese.
Tip: For a vegetarian version, omit prosciutto.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 16 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 65 grams
- Calories: 384
- Fibre: 6 grams
- Sodium: 870 mg