This is the ideal time for hot pasta tossed with a room-temperature garden-fresh tomato sauce. A quick and delicious vegetarian meal option.
- 9 Ontario Field Tomatoes, about 3 lb (1.5 kg)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves Ontario Garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped canned or pickled hot Jalapeño Pepper
- 1 small Ontario Sweet Green Pepper
- 4 Ontario Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Basil or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, coarsely ground black pepper and granulated sugar
- 3/4 to 1 cup (175 to 250 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg (450 g) fettucine or spaghetti
Slice unpeeled tomatoes in half; squeeze out all juice and seeds. Chop and place in large bowl. Add oil, garlic and Jalapeño pepper. Finely chop green pepper; add to the bowl along with the onions, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until "al dente." Drain and turn into large pasta bowl. Immediately add tomato mixture and Parmesan. Toss until evenly distributed. Serve right away.
Variation: Substitute Parmesan cheese with crumbled Ontario Goat Cheese (Chèvre).
Nutrients per serving
When recipe serves 6:
- Protein: 15.0 grams
- Fat: 16.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 66.0 grams
- Calories: 468