This wonderful cake made with blue plums is accented with orange and a touch of nutmeg. For a finishing touch, serve with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with a little nutmeg.
Baking Time: 55 to 60 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 12 oz (375 g) large Ontario Blue (Italian) Plums
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange-flavoured liqueur or orange juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups (325 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 Ontario Eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated orange rind
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
In medium bowl, mix sugar with cornstarch. Slice each plum into about 6 wedges; discard pits. Toss plums in cornstarch mixture; stir in liqueur. Set aside.
In large bowl and using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar at high speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in orange rind. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt; beat slowly into butter mixture until well combined. Pour into 9-inch (2.5 L) springform or square cake pan, greased only on bottom.
Drain any liquid from plums; arrange slices in circular pattern on batter. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean and lightly browned. Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove ring from pan and let cool completely. Serve at room temperature
- Protein: 5 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrate: 61 grams
- Calories: 429