All the flavours and textures work well together and are finished off with this unique lavender dressing. Toasting the lavender makes the taste softer and earthier.
Baking Time: 60 minutes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) culinary-grade dried Ontario Lavender, toasted
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 5 Ontario Beets (2-inch/5 cm diameter)
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1-1/2 cup (375 mL) thinly sliced Ontario Shallots
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 8 cups (1 L) torn Ontario Leaf Lettuce
- 1 pkg (130 g) Ontario Goat Cheese (Chèvre)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
In medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard and toasted lavender. Slowly, whisk in vegetable oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
Beet Salad: Trim tops and tails off beets. Wrap individually in foil; place in baking pan. Bake in 375°F (180°C) oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Unwrap and let cool slightly. Peel and slice into bite-size pieces. Place in medium bowl; cover and refrigerate.
Rinse quinoa well in cold water. In medium saucepan, combine quinoa and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with fork. Let cool; cover and refrigerate.
In small nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add shallots, cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
On four serving plates, place one-quarter of the lettuce, quinoa and beets. Top with one-quarter of the goat cheese, shallots and pecans. Drizzle with dressing.
- PROTEIN: 13 grams
- FAT: 22 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 39 grams
- CALORIES: 395
- FIBRE: 6 grams
- SODIUM: 470 mg