You will be pleasantly surprised at how sweet cabbage tastes when you roast it. Fresh local tomatoes and sweet red peppers add even more sweetness to this tasty, colourful dish.
Roasting Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
- Half Ontario Cabbage, coarsely chopped, about 8 cups (2 L)
- 1 small Ontario Onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small Ontario Sweet Red Pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large Ontario Tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) apple cider or red wine vinegar
- Dash hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and dried oregano leaves
In large bowl combine cabbage, onion, red pepper, tomato and garlic.
In small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar and hot sauce (if using); pour over vegetables and toss to mix well.
Spread vegetables evenly on lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
Roast in 400ºF (200ºC) oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 45 minutes.
Place in serving bowl, serve warm, cold or at room temperature.
Tip: Salad can be roasted a day ahead.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 10):
- PROTEIN: 1 gram
- FAT: 6 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 7 grams
- CALORIES: 78
- FIBRE: 2 grams
- SODIUM: 130 mg