Sit back and enjoy the raving comments when family and friends bite into these moist and tender Lake Whitefish burgers, served with the easy homemade tartar sauce and all the tasty toppings.
Chilling Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 small Ontario Shallot, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) fresh Ontario Lake Whitefish Fillets, skin and bones removed
- 1 Ontario Egg White
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) potato starch
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced (1/4-inch/0.5 cm) Ontario Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely diced Ontario Red Onion
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Dill
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 6 burger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 Ontario Boston Greenhouse Lettuce Leaves
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) creamy coleslaw
- Salt and vinegar potato chips
Tartar Sauce: In medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, capers, lemon juice, dill pickle, shallot and green onion. Season with cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Burgers: Rinse fillets under cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Divide fish evenly. Place one half into food processor; add egg white and sprinkle with potato starch. Pulse until smooth; about 1 minute. Transfer to mixing bowl and refrigerate.
Dice remaining fillets into 1/4 to 1/2-inch (0.5 to 1 cm) cubes. Stir into refrigerated mixture along with the cheese, red onion, dill and green onions. Stir in 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of lemon zest and 1 tsp (5 mL) of lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Scoop 6 equal sized balls. In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Place 3 fish balls in skillet and press with spatula to flatten about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side until burgers are fully cooked. Repeat with remaining oil and burgers.
Serve immediately on buns with lettuce leaves, coleslaw, tartar sauce and potato chips.
- PROTEIN: 33 grams
- FAT: 48 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 38 grams
- CALORIES: 725
- FIBRE: 4 grams
- SODIUM: 1,210 mg