Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread for a delicious supper. There is enough sauce to have rice as well, if desired.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried thyme leaves and dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cayenne and ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 3 Ontario Chicken Legs, separated into thighs and drumsticks
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 Ontario Onions, sliced
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot (or 1 tsp/5 mL ground ginger)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each packed brown sugar and soy sauce
- 1Ontario Butternut Squash, peeled and coarsely cubed (7 cups/1.75 L)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- Chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
In large bowl, combine paprika, thyme, mustard, cayenne, cloves, salt and pepper; add chicken and roll to coat well. In large deep nonstick skillet or shallow wide saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; brown chicken in batches, removing to plate.
Pour off and discard all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) fat from pan. Add onions, garlic, ginger and any remaining spices in bowl; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, brown sugar and soy sauce. Bring to boil, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan.
Return chicken and any juices to pan; add squash. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is tender and juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced, about 35 minutes.
Stir cornstarch with 2 tbsp (25 mL) cold water until smooth; stir into stew and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
1 Serving (When recipe serves 6):
- Protein: 24 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrate: 27 grams
- Calories: 310
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 650 mg